A simple chicken ramen dish gets a burst of umami from shio koji, a traditional fermented seasoning.
- Sun Noodle Shio Ramen Kit (2 Servings)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Slice of ginger
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 oz. shio koji
- Soft-boiled egg (optional)
- Butterfly the chicken breast and rub shio koji into chicken. Let sit for 90 minutes.
- Wash excess shio koji with water. Roll chicken breast and wrap tightly in saran wrap, twisting each end like a candy wrapper to form a cylinder. Wrap again in a layer of aluminum foil and twist ends to secure.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add the wrapped chicken and cover, removing from heat after 3 minutes. Let chicken cook in residual heat for 2 hours.
- While chicken is cooking, make the green onion oil. Heat vegetable oil over low heat and add finely sliced onions and ginger. Let simmer over very gentle heat for 25 minutes. Strain oil.
- Remove chicken from pot and discard foil and saran wrap. Slice chicken into thick slices.
- Prepare Sun Noodle ramen noodles and shio soup base according to package directions. Top with chicken chashu and soft-boiled egg (if desired). Garnish with green onion oil and thinly sliced fresh vegetables.