Inspired by Juneteenth, Rasheeda Purdie (@ramenbyra) created this chilled watermelon ramen with its red-colored food to signify strength and resistance and sweet southern taste. Enjoy this cold ramen during the scorching summer season and experience the fusion between Southern and Japanese culture!
-1 Sun Noodle Kaedama Noodle Kit
- Sliced Cucumbers
- Sesame seeds
- Fried garlic
- Choice of protein
Watermelon Poke Ingredients
- 1 cup of soy (low sodium)
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- 1/2 Tsp ground ginger
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- 5 Tb dark brown sugar
- 1-2 Tb honey
- 2 Tb cornstarch
- 1 small watermelon
Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients
(Make 2 portions from the recipe for cold slaw and broth)
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Watermelon Rinds Slaw Ingredients
- 4 cups of watermelon rinds, julienne cuts
- 3 scallions, julienne cuts
- 3 cups of bean sprouts
Watermelon Broth Ingredients
- 7 cups of watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-3 cups of vinaigrette dressing
Watermelon Poke Instructions (6 servings)
- Combine 1 cup of water, dark brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the 1/4 cup water and mix until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan.
- Heat the sauce until it thickens to your desired thickness. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water to thin out the sauce.
- Slice 1 small watermelon into ½ inch-3/4 inch in width cubes and transfer to a large bowl or container. Save watermelon rinds for slaw!
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the watermelon and gently toss. Refrigerate for a few hours up to overnight.
Vinaigrette Dressing Instructions
- Add olive oil, white wine vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a medium-size bowl and mix well.
- Place inside a jar or container once mixed, cover, and shake well.
- Shake well before each serving.
Watermelon Rinds Slaw Instructions (6 servings)
- Add julienned watermelon rinds, scallions, and bean sprouts in a medium-size bowl and mix.
- Pour the vinaigrette dressing over the slaw and gently toss.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Watermelon Broth Instructions
1. Place 7 cups of diced watermelon into a food processor or blender. Blend until it's a purée. Strain through a fine-meshed strainer into a bowl.
2. Add vinaigrette and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning with vinaigrette to your liking.
3. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to chill temperature.
Time to Assemble!
- Pour watermelon broth in serving bowl
- Prepare noodles according to instructions on package.
- Drain and rinse noodles in cold water, then add to serving bowl.
- Top ramen with watermelon poke, watermelon rinds slaw, cucumbers, watercress, sesame, fried garlic and choice of protein.
- Slurp and enjoy!